Monday, May 2, 2011

Mother's Day Gifts!

Every year in celebration of Mother's Day, I give my mom a gift for the garden. Past hits have included a bright pink endless summer hydrangea shrub that is now planted in her front garden bed, a collection of miniature alpine plants for her rock garden, and a hanging ivy geranium that gets moved into the greenhouse each fall and out again to the patio come spring.


This year, I'm stepping out of the box slightly. Instead of going for the traditional plant, I've picked out an obelisk that a vine can be trained on and can be left in the garden year-round, along with a miniature phalaenopsis orchid in a bright purple color that will look great on her kitchen windowsill that will provide instant, long-lasting blooms.

My mother-in-law, on the other hand, isn't quite the gardener my mother is. For her gift, my husband and I have decided to send her a beautiful selection of white and green garden flowers (her favorite color palate because it goes in every room), arranged in a vase. I think our arrangement Peridot will be the perfect gift for her. Since she also lives locally here in Greenwich, CT, I'm also arranging to have McArdle's deliver it on Friday, so she can enjoy it all weekend.

My husband's grandmother prefers something that is easy to care for and is brightly colored. I think a red hanging geranium that she can enjoy outside her kitchen window will be the ideal Mother's Day gift for her - they are extremely drought tolerant and will thrive in the hot summer sun, without her having to worry about reaching up to water it.

Whether your mother is a gardener like mine or simply appreciates beautiful flowers like my inlaws, McArdle's has the perfect gift for her. Unsure what she would like best? Email me at molly@mcardles.com for more ideas!


Should you have no idea what she would like, let her choose! A McArdle's gift card, available in any denomination, is always the right size and color - and is always appreciated during spring planting season! And this year, shopping at McArdles for mom is even easier when you use our new app, available for the iphone and droid phones!

No comments: