Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Container Gardening



There are many aspects to my garden that I enjoy over the course of the year. Hedges and shrubs are great for providing a backbone for the garden and year-round coverage of the foundation. The perennials are like old faithful friends coming back each year, giving the garden reliable bursts of color. My vegetable garden gives me a huge sense of accomplishment as my hard work pays off on my dinner plate each night. I don't usually do anything new or different in those areas, however. I may change up the varieties of tomatoes, or add a few new varieties of groundcovers or hydrangeas, but for the most part, they remain the same.

Where I have my fun each year is in my containers. From the brightly colored, glazed Vietnamese pots to my cast stone urns to the terra-cotta collection (pots of all different sizes and shapes) and window boxes, each pot represents a fresh start for the season - a place where I can try out new plant trends, experiment with a pop of color I might not otherwise, or just "play."

Each May you can find me outdoors at McArdle's in the nursery area, wandering around and pondering different combinations for my outdoor living space. Some years I might be interested in creating a really dramatic combination, using colors from opposite sides of the color wheel for real impact; others, I might be looking to create a softer, more harmonic balance, using one base color in different shades. No matter what color palate I chose, I try to stick with drought-tolerant plants, to insure that my planters survive my husband's forgetful watering habits and my summer vacation. On our website, we have some great tips on the types of plants to choose.



When putting my combinations together, I try to follow a few general rules of thumb (so they don't end up looking like I couldn't make up my mind at the nursery!). The best rule is to make sure that I have "Thrillers, Fillers and Spillers" for each pot. The thrillers are taller plants that provide some height and a little bit of drama (look for plants that will be proportionate in height to your container). Fillers are medium height and are great for providing volume, while the spillers trail over the edge and elongate the overall look.


Another tip I've picked up along the way is to keep the foliage interesting! The foliage is the base of the container - and I will be looking at it all season long. Coleus is a great plant with lots of variety when it comes to leaves. We have some great ones in stock outside, available both individually or as part of a container garden kit that takes all of the guesswork out of choosing compatible plants. It even has a diagram on the box to show you where in your pot to place each plant!


Finding the rules and options to be just too much? Here at McArdles, we can take the hard work out of it for you. We have some ready-made combinations put together in cocoa liners and ready to be dropped into your planters at home. Want something more custom, designed with your home and containers in mind? We can do that, too - either drop off your containers with us (just make sure the container has a drainage hole!) and we can have them ready in just a few days for delivery or pick-up, or we can send a designer to your home to install them on-site. Email me to discuss all of the available options.




Looking for something a little out of the ordinary? Stop by and we can show you all we have to offer, from edible containers (everything from herbs to tomatoes can be planted in a container) to a collection of mounded sempervivums!


For more ideas, check out our newsletter, where we have great plants for containers for sun and for shade . If you don't already get it, you can sign up for our newsletter here.

Happy planting!

No comments: